The Kinship System Dani community is three :
1. The smallest kinship group is the extended family, consisting of two or three main families together inhabiting a house complex covered by a fence (lima)
2. Paroh society. is a combination of several ham (small clans) called ukul oak (big clan)
3. Territorial group, the smallest territorial unit is the residential complex (uma) occupied for the patrilineal broad family group (descended to the boys)
The main livelihoods of Dani tribe are farming. Common plants that they plant are sweet tubers, bananas, sugar cane and tobacco. Beside gardening, the livelihood of Dani tribe is raising pigs. Pigs have an important role in daily life of Dani tribe. A pig pen named wamai (wam = pig, ai = house).
The use of pigs for Dani people is :
1. The meat for consumption
2. The blood is used in magical ceremonies
3. Bones and tails for decoration
4. The ribs are used as sweet potato knives
5. Tool of exchange / barter
6. Peace maker if there is a dispute
The life of the Dani community has the following characteristics :
1. The people of Dani have a permanent and always cooperative cooperation
2. Every plan of house construction is always preceded by a deliberation led by a customary or tribal chieftain
3. Community organization in Dani tribe is determined based on family and descendants and based on territorial unity
4. The tribe is led by a great chief called Ap Kain who leads the Watlangka traditional village, besides there are also three chiefs whose positions are located under Ap Kain and hold their own fields, they are : Ap Menteg, Horeg and Ap
5. Ubaik silimo that inhabited by ordinary people headed by Ap Waregma. There is no leader system in Dani community, except the term Kain for men which mean strong, clever and honorable.
6. At the Uma level, the leader is an old man but still able to manage his affairs in one yard of his household and his village. These matters include the maintenance of gardes and pigs as well as engage in quarrels.
7. Federation leaders are authorized to signal the start of war or other parties. The battle is headed for the Win Metek. The leader of the confederation usually has also become a winning metek, though not an absolute requirement. The conditions of being Dani community leader is : good in farming, friendly and generous, goon in hunting, possesing physical strength and courage, smart diplomacy, and combatant.
Please read Papua Tribal Living below :
1. Baliem Valley Festival
2. Asmat Tribe, An Incarnation of The God
3. Korowai and Kombai Tribe, People of The Sky
4. And other Papua tribes.
Please contact us for your desire itinerary.