Mentawai is an archipelago found off the west coast of Sumatra (Indonesia) consisting of approximately 70 islands and islets. The four main islands are North and South Pagai, Sipora, and Siberut; with Siberut – spanning 4,480 square kilometres and with a population of approximately 29,918 of which 90% are of indigenous Mentawai origin, the other 10% are considered to consist of Minangkabau, Javanese, and Batak (Bastide, 2008) – being the largest of the four.
This is the hidden life at West of Indonesia, Mentawai Tribe is one of the world's most fascinating authentic cultures who live deep in the jungle of Siberut Island, located some 130 km to the west of the west coast of central Sumatera. The intriguing world of the Mentawai people is characterize by their heavy spirituality, body art and their tendency to sharpen their teeth, a practice they feel makes one beautiful.
The people of Mentawai are skilled craftsmen, boat builder, excellent hunters, but they are not good farmers. Men wear loincloth made from the skin of bread fruit tree, while women wear traditional skirts from palm leaves. Both males and females are characterized by the unique tattoos as well as their handmate decorative necklaces.
They still follow age-old customs and live in clans of around 25 people in a long-house called an "uma". The only traditional diet is sago. They also hunt, fish and love to delicious larvae. The medicine men have an important place in their society. They are in contact with the spirits of the dead and have great knowledge of medicinal plants to heal people.
Please bear in mind that you'll be visiting the real world on the Mentawai people. There are no additional services for guests and you will live amongst them - as they do. You'll live, eat and sleep as they do. Guests are advised to bring additionally: rain coat, boots, mosquito net, toilet paper and lightweight travel mattress.
We Brings You To The Heart Of Indonesia